Thursday, May 1, 2014

That's a middle school book in the high school library!!!

I've read some discourse over the last month on the library listserve regarding below grade level books in "upper" school libraries.  In my case as a high school librarian,  I often wonder if I should have Tim Green, Mike Lupica, Rick Riordan, Christopher Paul Curtis, Rita Williams-Garcia or Melody Carlson on the shelf to name a few.  These authors are poplular and kids have often read them by the time they have gotten to the high school, but I find that the titles are frequently requested and other students are constatntly recommending them to their friends who haven't read them yet.

In the back of my mind I have this phrase "college and career ready" that makes me think, "Jeez, these kids have already read these books or these books are written at a really low level for high school." so should I offer them to the students?  Is my library "Common Core?" Are Riordan or Williams-Garcia's books getting the students "career ready?"  I mean, they are just "kids books," right?

While that is all true (I guess), is there harm in reading something for fun that is "below level?"  Reading is reading, especially when the books are written by award winning authors and they are well written.  This is a problem I have when looking at schools that have tight Accellerated Reader reading rules for children.  I have heard numerous horror stories and have heard some from my daughter's school that students are not allowed to read anything at school that isn't in their exact reading level.  That is a shame.  I get it that students can read at home and that parents should be there to help choose books, but we all know happens in fewer households that we want to know.  I understand the basis of the AR rules but what a way to discourage a student from reading something that is exciting to them whether it is above or below level.  I do not  understand why a student can't choose something in his or her level to measure progress for the school and choose something that is of interest to them outside (above or below) their level.  If the book is out of the realm for a student, a teacher or certified librarian making suggestions if the book is way below or above with a comment like, "I see you want to read "blank" I think it will be to "hard/easy," why don't you try "blank? It is a lot like the book you chose." would be really effective.  However, if the student insists, the conversation ends with, "Okay, let me know what you think of it and keep this book in mind when you are finished."  I just don't see the benefit of taking a book a student is excited about reading out of his or her hands.

With that idea in mind, I proudly purchase a mix of reading levels (I do not label the books with reading levels by the way!) and encourage even the best and highest readers some of the "easier" books just because they are great stories.  And, who is to say an "excellent" reader might not enjoy the break of reading some "brain candy?"  Another benefit is having a collection of books kid have already read that empowers them to take ownership of the library by recommending good books to friends.  It gives them confidence in their ability to read and choose good books and strengthens their friendship bonds.  And, gasp, what if they were to actually talk about the book with their friend!  A travesty, I know.

If you have had the debate in your head of whether you should or should not put easier reads in your library, do it!  Go for it!  Your students will love you for it and be sure to shamelessly give a "simple" book to your best readers.  Also, challenge your readers with higher level reads as well.  College and career ready?  You bet!  Reading is reading, and if the kids are reading books they want to read in their free time, that is preparing them for life long learning.

Do you have any thoughts on this topic?  What are your thoughts on using AR in schools?  What do you think about offering "easy" reads to students who are capable for high-level reading?  Comment below, I look forward to a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment