Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Award Books 2014

So the American Library Association Awards were announced yesterday, and I am pretty excited about the choices they made.  I am really happy for the Michael Printz Award winner Marcus Sedgwick and his book Midwinter Blood.  I read this book over the Christmas Holiday on recommendation from popular book reviewer Michael Cart.  The cover of the book did not really make me want to read it; it looked a little "vampire-ish" and that is not something that really catches my fancy...thank you Twilight phenomena.  The book really drew me in, though.  It grabbed my interest in history as the book starts in the future, but then skips back in time with each passing section.  Admittedly, I kept waiting for a vampire relationship to jump off the pages and bite me, but it never happened.  The story, to me, was so much more about a special place on this earth with special people and magics, than it was about any one character.  I really recommend this book and I am pleased with the award choice.
I am also happy to see that Rita Williams-Garcia won the author award for the Coretta Scott King Award for her book P.S. be eleven.  I have not read this book, but I have really enjoyed other books by Williams-Garcia such as One Crazy Summer and Jumped.
Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina is a book that I have looked at several times and has intrigued me won the Pura Belpre Award. This inspires me to want to read the book that appears to have a theme of bullying and school related relationships.
Finally, I am really excited to read the Caldecott winner Locomotive written and illustrated by Brian Floca.  First, I love picture books and second, I have not been disappointed by a Caldecott winner in a long time, so I feel confident it will be enjoyable.
What are some of your favorite books from 2013?  Did any of the awards miss the boat in your opinion?  Let me know by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment