Thursday, October 17, 2013

First eReader in the Library

So it is official.  I have cataloged the first Kindle eReader for my library.  It has been a year-long effort that included researching different eReaders and book formats, talking to dozens of people about what they are doing, or not doing in most cases, and reading reviews.  More consideration has gone into it than may have been required, but it is done and I have a list of students who are interested in devouring books loaded on the devices in their two week checkout period.
Are eReaders the future?  I have no idea, but right now they are a great way to load dozens of books that are hot and up and coming.  They are cost effective compared to purchasing tablets or other computer devices.  I don't really have any concern of a student checking them out, walking away and damaging or losing them.  If they do, it won't break the bank and should be reasonable to replace.
The eReader of choice for my library is the Amazon Kindle.  I did not find any eReader that really fit what I wanted, which is a reader that I can load books on and tailor for a student then switch the books out and create a new set of books for another student.  That ability does not exist, at least not with the eReaders on my list.  I do like the Amazon Whispercast and the way I can group devices, but this won't be helpful unless there are books that I want on multiple Kindles.  Yes, I have to purchase multiple copies of a book if I want a title on multiple Kindles.  Speaking of purchasing books, I created an eBook order for the Kindles and my order total was $14,324.36.  Sticker shock!!  That was a "little" over my budget.  I discovered that Whispercast takes the order and puts all the books on to all the devices in whatever user group is choosen.   I chose the user group that had all my Kindles. I canceled that order, of course. The solution was to create a User group for each device and do a separate order for each Kindle.  Not a big deal, I guess, except the district office has to divvy out 20+ purchase orders each time I want to put books onto the Kindles.  They have been terrific about working with me, but I imagine it may get old for all of us real quick.  Time will tell on that.
A couple irritants that have gone along with this process is that every Kindle has to have its own email address, so my tech office had to create those.  I am still trying to figure out how to get the Kindles to remember the wifi security key to our schools' network.  Kind of a pain to reconnect constantly but it's not the end of the world.
Some reading this may think this wasn't a good decision.  My wife is in that camp, but she gets to hear all the frustrations.  There are several positives. First, Amazon makes contacting them almost a joy.  I have yet to wait more than 60 seconds to talk to someone and the phone operators know their stuff.  The representatives often didn't tell me what I wanted, but they gave me a straight answer so I could move on to find solutions.  They are even apologetic when a Kindle policy doesn't really work for me.  In these days of bad customer service, waiting on hold, and inadequate knowledge, this was a breath of fresh air.  Another positive, the Kindles are really easy to lock down so the students only have access to books and documents we put on there.  All in all, there isn't anything out there that does exactly what I want, but Amazon and the Kindle make it easy to make adjustments to put these into the hands of kids who want to read.  They even grab the attention of kids who aren't all that interested in reading but like the "gadgety" tool.
I can't wait for the first checkout of these to hear how someone took one of these and read until they couldn't read anymore.  Have you had experience putting a Kindle or other eReader into your library?  I would be interested in reading your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment