Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Twitter, Television and Agents of Shield

Outside of watching sports on television, I don't watch much t.v.  It isn't because I am one of those who think everything on t.v. is junk, I just don't like to wade through all the content to find something I like.  Anyway, I have been anticipating Marvel's venture into broadcast television extending the Avengers story with Agents of Shield.  The excitement of the show kept me checking social media for any bits of information that I could get.  Through the updates I learned that there would be a live Twitter feed going during the first broadcast of the show.  I realize that this is probably pretty common, but it was the first time I really noticed a non-reality t.v. show having such a feed.  My impression of following a live Twitter feed during a show is that it would be terribly intrusive and break the suture of the show.  Nonetheless, I decided I would join in on the conversation.
It was kind of fun to read what others were thinking about the show as it proceeded, but soon after the first commercial break I got a little tired of trying to keep up with all the posts.  I also found most posts to be trivial and not interesting.  I didn't really care that some people were lamenting that they were missing another show while watching Agents of Shield.  I did like the posts where people repeated their favorite lines said by the characters.  I participated in that fun.  What I did find interesting, and would guess could make for some really interesting data for social scientists and marketers, were the trends in comments.  For example, I discovered that most people must not watch much television on their televisions.  Numerous posts were complaining how they had to watch the show on t.v. which I implied that most shows can be watched online before or in conjunction with the original broadcast of the show.  I have no idea if that is true or not.  Several tweeted that they were having a hard time dealing with the quality of the signal they were watching and wishing they could watch it online.  I'm sure other trends could have been pulled out of the feed, but it was interesting.  I don't know that I will follow feeds during shows often, but it was kind of fun.  
Oh, I did enjoy the show, and I definitely look forward to the second show next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment