Monday, August 9, 2010

Triangle of Opportunity Cycle Tour

Last Saturday I joined my friend Rich on a 50 mile cycle tour through southern Tazewell and western McLean Counties. The weather cooperated with sunshine, lower temperatures and less humidity than the previous few weeks. The organization chose a nice route with good roads and scenery. A highlight of the ride was the two or three mile stretch of riding on old Route 66 to Funk's Grove. In Funk's Grove there was an enjoyable, serene, winding road in a wooded area that was fun to ride. And the historical value of Old Route 66 added a bit of nostalgia to the ride.

It was the first time I had ridden the Triangle of Opportunity Cycle tour, but I have ridden the roads around Minier, Mackinaw, and Tremont a few times. I recommend riding the roads of this area. One rider had mentioned the value of connecting the Bloomington/Normal area with the Peoria area using roads like the Old Peoria road from Danvers to Mackinaw. I have not studied the maps, but I bet it wouldn't be difficult to identify some county/township roads in rural areas that would connect some of our small to mid-sized towns. I wonder how much business it would take from cyclists for small towns to see the value of creating a cycling route with dedicated, painted lanes or added shoulders, or even old rail beds for cycling. Imagine, people might choose to use these routes for touring (out of state money), family rides (local and regional money), or even routes to ride to work (promoting community). Lots of business for small towns could be generated by this unique opportunity.

I hope someone with a bit more influence, money, and/or time reads this and sees some value. Talk to the people who organized the TOOC; they must see some benefit to their businesses and small towns. I know that I spend plenty of money without breaking the bank on lodging, meals, snacks and tourism when I tour in other parts of the state and region.

1 comment:

  1. Jobs, economic boost, environment, health. Gets us off the road where we appear to make drivers nervous. I don't see a negative.

    ReplyDelete