Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Paperback books!!

We have unofficially announced January to be Paperback Book Month!!  It just seems to be a good time of the year to promote those poor flimsy books that have an inferiority complex next to their shiny, hard-backed brothers and sisters.  Paperback books have their place in a library and in our lives.  
I discovered the usefulness of paperback books several years ago.  I was working for Tony's Pizza Service delivering frozen pizzas to grocery stores, and I found myself waiting around all the time.  It was a hurry up and wait kind of job.  I found myself wanting to fill that time with something somewhat productive, but crossword puzzles and things like that weren't my thing.  It was the days before smartphones, so any kind of social networking was out.  So, I started carrying paperback books with me.  I loved those books because most (those under 200 pages or so) could fit in my back pocket easily.  When I found myself waiting for someone to open the back door of a store or to check in my product, which could take up to 10-20 minutes at times, I would pull out my book and read.  I became known as the "book guy" by other delivery drivers and store employees.  It was fun.  I got to read and promote literacy because they all wanted to know what I was reading and if it was any good.  It was great!!    Paperback books had a place with me.  
I don't encourage sticking a paperback book from a library in your back pocket, but paperback books are generally lighter, many times easier to read laying back, and many times lay open better than a hard cover book.  
For the next two weeks in the high school library, if you check out a paperback book, fill out an entry form and you just might win a "sweet" prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment